by Lovie Smith-Wright, AFM Diversity Committee Chair and Local 65-699 (Houston, TX) President
For every action there is a reaction, which over time becomes our history. The AFM Diversity Committee has set in motion an awards program that recognizes locals and individuals whose reactions and leadership reflect and affirm the diversity of our membership. Awards have many purposes, but above all, they reflect our history during a point in time, which is recognized by others.
The AFM Diversity Committee, which I chair, is preparing for the 2019 AFM International Diversity Awards, to be presented at the 101st Convention of the American Federation of Musicians in June 2019. There are three awards: the President’s Award for Locals, the Charles McDaniel Youth Award, and the Charles Walton Diversity Advocate Award.
In the spirit of competition, the Diversity Committee has finalized the awards process and presents to you the first stage, which is the nomination process. Individuals wishing to participate should contact their local officers or go to the AFM’s Diversity Awards web link (www.afm.org/awards) for applications.
Once an application is completed, it must be submitted to the home local of the individual applying for the award. Locals receiving applications must decide upon one application per category for the Youth Award and the Advocate Award. Upon completing the first stage criteria, the semi-finalists will compete through a second stage. The selected award recipients will be recognized at the AFM 2019 Convention. For additional information please visit www.afm.org/awards.
1) President’s Award (Local – Overall award)
2) Charles McDaniel Youth Award (Individual—one nominee per local)
3) Charles Walton Diversity Advocate Award (Individual—one nominee per local)
1) Application (1 page)
2) Deadline: January 4, 2019
3) Recipient must be AFM Convention participant or guest; AFM shall bear expense for recipient of Charles Walton Diversity Advocate Award; AFM shall bear expense for recipient (and one adult chaperone, if recipient is under age 18) of Charles McDaniel Youth Award.
4) AFM locals must submit applications for all awards.
5) AFM locals must have an awards nomination/review committee; the local awards committee shall consist of at least three people or the local’s executive board.
All first stage applications must be postmarked by January 4, 2019.
Watch for additional articles pertaining to the 2019 Diversity Awards in the coming months.