Now is the right time to become an American Federation of Musicians member. From ragtime to rap, from the early phonograph to today's digital recordings, the AFM has been there for its members. And now there are more benefits available to AFM members than ever before, including a multi-million dollar pension fund, excellent contract protection, instrument and travelers insurance, work referral programs and access to licensed booking agents to keep you working.

As an AFM member, you are part of a membership of more than 80,000 musicians. Experience has proven that collective activity on behalf of individuals with similar interests is the most effective way to achieve a goal. The AFM can negotiate agreements and administer contracts, procure valuable benefits and achieve legislative goals. A single musician has no such power.

The AFM has a proud history of managing change rather than being victimized by it. We find strength in adversity, and when the going gets tough, we get creative - all on your behalf.

Like the industry, the AFM is also changing and evolving, and its policies and programs will move in new directions dictated by its members. As a member, you will determine these directions through your interest and involvement. Your membership card will be your key to participation in governing your union, keeping it responsive to your needs and enabling it to serve you better. To become a member now, visit


Home » Recent News » The Taxman Cometh: Tax Considerations for Canadian musicians

The Taxman Cometh: Tax Considerations for Canadian musicians

  -  President Baird Artists Management (BAM!)

Tax time is almost upon us and the annual tax filing of April 30 is fast approaching. Canadian musicians have certain advantages in terms of dealing with the Canadian tax system, and this article will outline how you can reduce your tax liability. Knowing what expenses you can deduct from your income and keeping track of your annual income/expenses—along with a file of corroborating evidence (contracts, receipts, cancelled cheques, credit card statements, etc.)—will ensure that you can take advantage of favourable tax regulations for Canadian performing artists.

Most Canadian musicians are considered by Revenue Canada to be self-employed entrepreneurs since they independently contract their services and are classified as operating a music “business” as a sole proprietorship for tax purposes. This provides an opportunity for claiming a number of deductions against earned income and reducing the tax liability to Revenue Canada.

Your income as a self-employed musician is claimed on your personal income tax T1 return, detailed on an attached Statement of Business or Professional Activities (Form T2125). This form is used to detail your income and the many deductions you can claim to reduce the income and thus pay less tax. Revenue Canada offers helpful information in its Guide to Self-Employed Business Income.

A financial spreadsheet detailing your income and expenses should be maintained to summarize your income/expense annually and provide evidence, if ever required, to Revenue Canada to support your tax filing.

Note that if you are not a sole proprietor but have formed a partnership (as some musical groups do), then each partner will file separately according to their share of the partnership income and expenses. If a musical group is incorporated, then different tax regulations apply to the business and it is recommended that you consult a tax professional to ensure compliance with Revenue Canada business filings.

In terms of income, Canadians are required to claim their worldwide income from all sources on their annual income tax return. If your income was in other than Canadian currency, you should convert the amounts to Canadian on the date of receipt using the Bank of Canada Currency Converter (available online at

You can reduce your tax bill considerably by claiming any business expenses related to your earning money as a musician. Note that you must keep invoices, receipts with the name of the vendor and the date, or even a voucher detailing the expense. Proof of expenditures, including cancelled cheques or credit card statements, must be kept, along with the receipts, etc., for seven years. In terms of deductions, the following could be claimed:


• Union dues (CFM local).

• Professional association memberships.

• Legal and accounting or other professional fees.

• Interest on loans taken out for musical purposes.

• Agents’ commissions.

Office Expenses:

• Home expenses (rent, mortgage, mortgage interest, property taxes, electricity, heat, water, home insurance, some repairs) based on the amount of space used for your music “business” (divide the total area of your home by the total area of the workspace).

• Rehearsal/rental space.

• Postage and courier fees.

• Stationery supplies used for earning income.

• Industry-related subscriptions, magazines.

• DVDs, CDs or internet recordings purchased for a specific educational purpose

• Telephone and internet costs.

Travel Expenses:

• Car expenses (check the Automobile Allowance Rates at Revenue Canada).

• Hotels.

• Flights.

• Entertainment expenses (50%).

• Meals while on the road.

• Childcare expenses related to absences to earn income.

Instrument Expenses:

• Instrument insurance.

• Replacement strings or instrument repairs.

Performance Expenses:

• Portion of haircuts or styling, makeup.

• Wardrobe used in performance.

• Cleaning/repairing stage clothing.

• PA or gear rentals.

• Any fees paid to other players or accompanists.

• Headshots or promotional photos.

• Advertising.

•  Cost of recording demos.

Note that there may be some limitations or particular rules relating to these deductions.

In addition to these deductions, there are two other areas regarding tax to consider: GST and Capital Cost Allowance.

Registering for GST/HST is not required unless your income level is $30,000 annually, however, if you voluntarily register for the GST/HST you will collect GST/HST on all Canadian gigs but will be able to claim the GST/HST paid on any items relating to your musical activity to reduce the amount of GST/HST due to Revenue Canada. Depending on the volume of GST/HST in your business, you have the option of filing annually, quarterly, or monthly. You can get more information from Revenue Canada on GST/HST Registration.

Capital cost allowance applies to any major music or office equipment or instrument purchases, as well as music reference material (scores, arrangements) and stage wardrobe. These items are depreciated over a number of years, i.e., their cost is deducted not all at once but by a certain portion each year. The amount you can claim varies according to the class of the item. For example, Class 8 applies to equipment purchased for more than $500 and 20% of these purchases can be claimed each year; Class 10 applies to computer equipment and 30% of these purchases can be claimed each year.

It is sometimes difficult to do the required paperwork to record your musical activities in a business-like way. However, setting up a simple way to keep track of your income and expenditures will allow you to reap the many benefits available to Canadian musicians under the Canadian tax system.

Robert Baird is president of BAM! Baird Artists Management Consulting in Toronto, and an expert in international touring including visas, withholding, and taxation. He is an AFM booking agent and an acceptance agent for the IRS. His guest column is provided for informational purposes only, not as a substitute for advice from your personal tax professional.

Le percepteur d’impôt s’annonce : considérations fiscales pour les musiciens canadiens

par Robert Baird, conseiller en arts de la scène

C’est presque la saison des impôts, et la date butoir du 30 avril pour la transmission de nos déclarations de revenus arrive à grands pas. Le système fiscal du Canada offre certains avantages aux musiciens canadiens, et dans cette chronique, je tenterai de vous aider à en tirer parti. Savoir quelles dépenses vous pouvez déduire de votre revenu et faire un suivi annuel de vos revenus et dépenses— tout en conservant vos pièces justificatives telles que contrats, reçus, chèques annulés, relevés de carte de crédit, etc. — vous garantira de bien profiter des règles fiscales qui s’appliquent aux artistes de la scène canadiens.

Revenu Canada considère la plupart des musiciens canadiens comme des travailleurs autonomes puisqu’ils offrent leurs services de façon indépendante et sont classés comme entrepreneurs exploitant une entreprise musicale à titre de propriétaires uniques. C’est pourquoi ils peuvent déduire un certain nombre de dépenses de leurs revenus et ainsi réduire leur facture fiscale.

Vous devez déclarer votre revenu de musicien travailleur autonome de façon précise sur un formulaire T2125 en annexe de votre déclaration personnelle de revenus T1. Ce formulaire permet d’indiquer vos revenus en détail ainsi que les nombreuses déductions auxquelles vous avez droit pour réduire votre revenu total et donc votre impôt. Revenu Canada offre de l’information utile à cet égard dans son guide Revenus d’un travail indépendant d’entreprise.

Veillez à maintenir une feuille de calcul financière dans laquelle vous inscrirez vos revenus et dépenses annuelles au cas où vous feriez l’objet d’une vérification de Revenu Canada. 

Si vous n’êtes pas propriétaire unique de votre entreprise, mais plutôt établi en partenariat comme certains groupes musicaux, chaque partenaire devra faire sa propre déclaration selon la part des revenus et dépenses qui lui revient. Si le groupe est constitué en société, les règles qui s’appliquent ne sont pas les mêmes, et je vous conseille de consulter un professionnel en fiscalité afin de garantir que vous répondez bien aux exigences de Revenu Canada.

Dans leur déclaration annuelle, les Canadiens sont tenus de rendre compte de tous leurs revenus de toute source, d’où qu’ils viennent dans le monde. Si vous avez gagné votre revenu dans une devise autre que le dollar canadien, convertissez les montants en devise canadienne selon la date de leur réception en utilisant le convertisseur de devises de la Banque du Canada, accessible en ligne à

Vous pouvez réduire votre facture fiscale de façon considérable en déduisant toute dépense professionnelle encourue pour gagner un revenu comme musicien. Notez que vous devez conserver vos factures, vos reçus où figurent le nom du vendeur et la date de l’achat ou même les récépissés avec le détail de vos dépenses. Toutes les pièces justificatives, incluant les chèques annulés ou les relevés de carte de crédit, ainsi que les reçus et autres documents, doivent être conservées pendant sept ans. Voici les déductions que vous pouvez réclamer :

Frais :

• cotisations syndicales (section locale de la FCM )

• adhésions à des associations professionnelles

• honoraires juridiques, de comptabilité ou d’autres types de professionnels

• intérêts sur prêts contractés pour gagner un revenu comme musicien

• commissions d’agent

Dépenses de bureau :

• dépenses liées au domicile (loyer, hypothèque, intérêts sur hypothèque, taxes foncières, électricité, chauffage, eau, assurance résidentielle ainsi que certaines réparations) en proportion de l’espace que vous utilisez pour votre
« entreprise » musicale (diviser la surface totale de votre résidence par la surface totale de votre espace de travail)

• location de lieux de répétition

• frais de poste et de courrier

• papeterie utilisée pour gagner un revenu

• abonnements liés à l’industrie, magazines

• DVD, CD ou enregistrements sur Internet achetés dans un objectif éducatif particulier

• dépenses de téléphone et d’Internet

Frais de déplacement :

• dépenses d’automobile (vérifiez les taux d’allocation pour frais d’automobile de Revenu Canada)

• hôtels

• vols

• frais de réception (50 %)

• repas pendant les déplacements

• frais de garde d’enfants se rapportant aux absences permettant de gagner un revenu

Dépenses d’instruments :

• assurance instruments

• cordes de remplacement et réparations d’instruments

Dépenses de prestations :

• une partie des frais de coupe de cheveux, de mise en plis, de maquillage

• vêtements pour prestations

• nettoyage ou réparation de vêtements pour la scène

• sonorisation ou location de matérie

• tout cachet versé à d’autres musiciens ou accompagnateurs

• portraits ou photos de promotion

• publicité

• coûts liés à l’enregistrement de « démos »

Notez que ces déductions peuvent faire l’objet de certaines limitations ou de règles particulières.

En plus de ces déductions, il y a deux autres éléments à considérer : la TPS et la déduction pour amortissement.

Vous n’avez  pas à vous inscrire à la TPS/TVH si vous gagnez moins de 30 000 $ annuellement. Toutefois, si vous vous y inscrivez volontairement, vous recevrez de la TPS/TVH sur tous vos engagements canadiens, et vous pourrez la déduire sur vos achats liés à votre activité musicale, réduisant ainsi la part de taxes à verser à Revenu Canada. Tout dépendant du montant de TPS/TVH que collecte votre entreprise, vous aurez le choix de faire vos déclarations une fois par année, aux trois mois ou mensuellement. Pour de plus amples renseignements relativement au processus d’inscription à la TPS/TVH, contactez directement Revenu Canada.

La déduction pour amortissement s’applique à toute acquisition importante de matériel de bureau, de musique ou d’instruments ainsi que de matériel de référence (partitions, arrangements) ou de vêtements de scène. Ces articles sont amortis sur un certain nombre d’années, c’est-à-dire qu’une certaine proportion de leur coût est déduite chaque année. Le montant des amortissements varie selon la catégorie de l’article ; par exemple, la catégorie 8 inclut les achats de matériel dépassant 500 $ et permet d’en déduire 20 % chaque année; la catégorie 10 s’applique aux ordinateurs et autre matériel informatique et permet d’en déduire 30 % par année.

Il est parfois difficile de faire toute la paperasse nécessaire pour rendre compte de vos activités musicales de façon rigoureuse. Mais en établissant un moyen simple de faire le suivi de vos revenus et dépenses, vous pourrez profiter des nombreux avantages qu’offre le système fiscal du Canada aux musiciens canadiens.

Pour obtenir des renseignements en ligne auprès de Revenu Canada, rendez-vous à l’adresse suivante :

Robert Baird, président de BAM! Baird Artists Management Consulting, à Toronto, est un expert reconnu en matière de tournées internationales, de visas, de retenues à la source et de taxation. Sa chronique d’invité vous est offerte à des fins d’information seulement et ne peut en aucun cas remplacer les indications de votre propre conseiller en matière de fiscalité.

NEWS abadicash abadislot royalbola abadislot abadislot menara368 abadicash vipmaxwin menara368 totoabadi Menara368