Now is the right time to become an American Federation of Musicians member. From ragtime to rap, from the early phonograph to today's digital recordings, the AFM has been there for its members. And now there are more benefits available to AFM members than ever before, including a multi-million dollar pension fund, excellent contract protection, instrument and travelers insurance, work referral programs and access to licensed booking agents to keep you working.
As an AFM member, you are part of a membership of more than 80,000 musicians. Experience has proven that collective activity on behalf of individuals with similar interests is the most effective way to achieve a goal. The AFM can negotiate agreements and administer contracts, procure valuable benefits and achieve legislative goals. A single musician has no such power.
The AFM has a proud history of managing change rather than being victimized by it. We find strength in adversity, and when the going gets tough, we get creative - all on your behalf.
Like the industry, the AFM is also changing and evolving, and its policies and programs will move in new directions dictated by its members. As a member, you will determine these directions through your interest and involvement. Your membership card will be your key to participation in governing your union, keeping it responsive to your needs and enabling it to serve you better. To become a member now, visit www.afm.org/join.
February 1, 2021IM -
International Musician, the official publication of the AFM, has received seven awards in the 2020 International Labor Communications Association (ILCA) Labor Media Awards.
The awards recognize excellence among union publications, websites, film, video, and other media from across North America. It is the first and largest competition exclusively for labor journalists and communicators.
“It is with great pride that we announce that the International Musician is the recipient of several 2020 International Labor Communications Association awards,” says Publisher Jay Blumenthal. “The International Musician was recognized in several categories. Congratulations to all the individual winners.”
Awards received by the INTERNATIONAL MUSICIAN include:
• Writing – Saul Miller Award for Organizing, “The Boise Philharmonic: A Textbook Example of How to Organize,” by Jason Emerson, managing editor (June 2019 issue)
• Writing – Best Feature Story, “Eugenia Zukerman: Renowned Flutist Reflects on What Comes Next After Alzheimer’s Diagnosis,” by Jason Emerson, managing editor (December 2019 issue)
• Best Front Page/Cover – National Print Publication, Magazine (September 2019 issue)
• Writing – Best Editorial or Column, “Campaign for Fairness in Streaming Media Begins in Los Angeles,” by Ray Hair, AFM International President (June 2019 issue)
• General Excellence – National Print Publication, Magazine
• Writing – Best Profile, “Vijay Gupta: Encouraging Musicians to be Empowered by Their Artistry,” by Jason Emerson, managing editor (October 2019 issue)
• Visual Communications – Best Design – National Print Publication, Magazine