The International Musician is the official monthly publication of the American Federation of Musicians, a union serving more than 100,000 professional musicians in the United States and Canada, representing a readership in excess of 100,000. Our Mission: to serve the collective needs of the professional union musicians. Every issue is written, edited, and published with the interests and concerns of these musicians in mind.
The International Musician’s editorial content reflects the diversity of its readers as well as the common issues that affect all working musicians. Information is presented through interviews, feature stories, expert columns, and music/union news.
- News on legislation affecting musicians
- Instrument/product reviews
- Business and educational resources for musicians
- Marketing/career building ideas
- Information on trade shows and conferences
- Notable events in the lives of members
- Audition/job postings
For more than a century, members of the American Federation of Musicians have enjoyed access to one of the most important sources of information affecting their livelihoods.
The readers of the International Musician are professional musicians who come from all parts ofthe U.S. and Canada. They tour throughout the world with pop bands, symphonies, jazz ensembles, or country rock bands. They record sound tracks in music studios for records, films, TV , and video games. They are behind the scene and they are in front of crowds of 30,000 fans.
Published monthly and distributed to more than 90,000 Federation members, International Musician provides vital news of legislation affecting musicians, audition notices, industry news, features about activism and labor organizing campaigns, and spotlights featuring the activities of their colleagues.
- 53% are full-time professional musicians
- 37% are music educators
- 79% are college graduates or greater
- 45% are age 37 to 55
- Average household income is $85,000
- 68% say the value of their instruments is more than $7,000
- 76% have been playing for over 30 years
- 47% have been members of the AFM for over 30 years
- 59% are freelance/club musicians
- 40% are symphonic musicians
- 10% are recording/session musicians
- 17% are theater/touring musicians
- 56% have made a recording in the last 12 months
The International Musician is distributed monthly to more than 90,000 members and subscribers as well as to music schools (both through individual subscriptions and library copies). In addition, it's available at many musician showcases, conferences, and trade shows:
- NAMM Trade Shows
- SxSW Music Conference
- NEMO Music Showcase
- Latin Alternative Music Conference
- NxNE Music Conference
- Canadian Music Week
- Toronto Music Expo
- CMJ Music Marathon
- Berklee College Summer Program
- Recording Studios